Thursday, November 26, 2009

It's another blog! And this time, it's personal!

Hi everyone. Yes, it's another blog by Eric Robinette, but don't worry, I haven't gone all Sybil on you - at least not yet. Maybe closer to Three Faces of Eve.

Next week I will be going to New Orleans for the first time to visit my dad (who lives there), and I'm very excited! That inspired me to keep a trip journal, because I haven't done much writing outside of news stories and movie reviews, and I'd like to flex some new muscles and be all buff n' stuff - at least in a literary sense!

Then I thought "Well, gee - why don't I put it on a blog where everyone can see it?"

And so I have. But this blog won't die when my trip ends. It will live on, as a way to share details about my life and about subjects besides movies, which will be confined to sircritic.com.

As it happens, though, my trip is turning out to be heavily movie-related. I'll let you all take a minute to reach for your defibrillators.  CLEAR!

Recovered? Anyway, here's what's shaping up for the NOLA trip so far.

Disney's new movie, The Princess and the Frog, is set in New Orleans. Alas, the movie itself will not play there while I am there, but the Museum of Modern Art has this cool exhibit, which I plan to attend!

My dad says he also intends to take to The Clover Grill, which was featured in a scene from The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. 

And check out this EXTREMELY cool-sounding theater I found! They are showing Miracle on 34th St. (blessedly, the ORIGINAL and not the mezzo-mezzo 90s remake). And if you know me, you know I love nothing better than to see old movies in old movie theaters!

So that's some of my itinerary so far - and I welcome comments on this blog to. So in the interest of spawning some, let me ask you - anybody been to New Orleans and/or have any suggestions as to what I should see? I'll be there from Monday Nov. 30  through Friday Dec. 4.

3 comments:

  1. I grew up 45 minutes north of there, Eric, although I haven't been back in years. The French Quarter, especially Jackson Square, is something not to miss -- St. Louis Cathedral and the Cabildo (Spanish government building) are very cool to see. Also, beignets and chicory coffee at Cafe du Monde, and a trip down St. Charles on the streetcar (assuming that's running post-Katrina). See a show at Tipitina's, The Maple Leaf or Snug Harbor; have a coffee at Cafe Brasil; and don't skip the French Market -- you can spend hours there. For a good po-boy, Cafe Maspero near Jackson Square used to be amazing. Also, Parasol's in the Irish Channel. If I was going back, I'd also want to check out the remaining destruction in the Ninth Ward.

    -- Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, my dad lives in the Ninth Ward, so I will be seeing that. Thanks, Martha! Watch this space for trip updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember really wanting to go to NOLA after my Anne Rice phase in my late teens, and my desire still stands. There is something about that place that has a particular pull for someone who likes to write the kind of stuff I do.

    Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful time! I will be keeping watch!

    ReplyDelete